Raising awareness within your community
Email your friends and family!
Below is an email you can send to your friends and family encouraging them to become an
engaged, mental health voter. Feel free to personalize it with any information you feel
comfortable sharing about your own journey with mental health or addiction.
You and I may understand that there is no health without mental health, but sometimes it
feels like our policymakers don’t. Mental Health for US is working hard to ensure voters of all stripes know how important participating in the upcoming election is. When we vote, our
government begins to reflect our values, and that’s why I’m voting for mental health and
addiction in November.
[Share a couple sentences about why mental health and addiction matters to you.]
If you’re ready to vote for mental health with me, I would encourage you to visit Mental Health for US’s website and take time to go through their 2020 voter checklist. Here are some of the most important steps you should take between now and November 3:
1. Make sure all of your voter registration information is accurate and up-to-date by
checking your registration status.
2. Some polling locations may have been moved due to precautions taken against
COVID-19. Find out where you can vote on election day by entering your
3. Take some time to explore where the candidates stand on the issues you care about
most. The Mental Health for US presidential candidate surveys are a good place to start.
4. Find out if your state requires you to bring identification to your polling location so
you can be prepared.
5. Make a plan to vote! Feel free to email me a date, time, and how you’ll do it so I can be
a voting accountability buddy for you.
If we truly want to change the way America cares for people living with mental illness and
addiction, then we need to make our voices heard this November! I hope you’ll join me in
pledging to be a mental health voter! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or want to learn more about why I’m voting for mental health.